Infected Sutures/Stitches One Year After Tummy Tuck?

tummy tuck stitchesAre suture companies ever held responsible? Any help would be appreciated! Some inside sutures never dissolve and are made to be permanent, so I would not assume they need to come out. I have heard of sutures snapping and breaking after a tummy tuck. One woman even said that her tummy tuck stitches were coming out of her skin 6 years after her tummy tuck.

3. How long does it take absorbable sutures to be absorbed by the body? It takes absorbable sutures anywhere from 10 days to eight weeks to be absorbed by the body. 4. How many stitches will I have for my Tummy Tuck? The amount varies with each operation. I had a combined abdominoplasty with Lateral Thigh Lift so I had them on my front, sides and back. If you zoom in on the above picture you can count 6-7 on the belly portion.

I had never had surgery before and was curious to see what my stitches (also known as sutures) looked like and how they were actually used to “stitch” the skin together. This is what they looked like 3 days after my Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) with Lateral Thigh Lift operation. What Are Surgical Sutures/Stitches?

I always inspired by you, your thoughts and attitude, again, thanks for this nice post. Hi….I am just over 2 weeks post op. My internal muscles did have some diastis and needed to be sutured back. My main concern is the longevity of the sutures. My doctor says they last a lifetime. I am an active 45 yr.

“A suture is a medical device that doctors, and especially surgeons, use to hold skin, internal organs, blood vessels and all other tissues of the human body together, after they have been severed by injury or surgery. They must be strong (so they do not break), non-toxic and hypoallergenic (to avoid adverse reactions in the body), and flexible (so they can be tied and knotted easily). In addition, they must lack the so called “wick effect”, which means that sutures must not allow fluids to penetrate the body through them from outside, which could easily cause infections.” ref: Wikepedia.

The following post from our forum is from a woman who had a tummy tuck over a year ago and now thinks that her sutures/stitches are infected causing her lumps in her stomach and pain. She is wondering what to do. Date: 12/12/2011 Submitted by: LynneInfected Sutures/Stitches One Year After Tummy Tuck? I had a tummy tuck on 7/30/10. This was not a surgery to make me beautiful this was to remove a portion of my abdomin where a re-accuring staph infection was.

“Normally, permanent sutures are only used inside to hold the muscle in place. Many surgeons refer to “tightening of the muscles”. This is in fact never done during a tummy tuck. Rather, the fascia, the tough lining of the muscles, is tightened. I can see why you are frustrated. You are probably thinking..

The plastic surgeon recommended cutting it out and I said do it. Now after all that I have lumps in my abdomin that look and feel as though the inside sutures never dissolved and I think they are infected. The more I do the more I hurt! What do I need to do now? Im assuming these need to come out. Will this require another surgery? Who if anyone is at fault?

The only way to know if your doctor used absorbable sutures for your operation is to ask him. If you snap or pull a suture on the inside of your tummy tuck can there be damage done? I never had that problem so I don’t have any first hand experience with breaking stitches but here is a good source of info on it.

tummy tuck stitches
Please, help me with this matter. I know very little about the surgical use of sutures but as I understand it most surgeons use a combination of absorbable and permanent sutures for tt surgery. Absorbable sutures for surface/skin sutures and permanent sutures to tighten muscles. That would make sense. Out of curiosity I did a little research and found the following that may provide additional information.

*

Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post